alternaRAW Original 2.5 oz
AlternaRAW: All Of The Nutrition, None of the Risk
We set out to solve a very serious problem with today’s seemingly vast array of health options for dogs. We wanted to feed raw for its nutritional benefits, but the possible risks seemed to far outweigh the benefits. 2.1 million pounds of chicken and poultry have recently been recalled because it contained extraneous materials, specifically metal. 65,000 pounds of raw ground beef and chopped steaks have been recalled recently for E-Coli contamination. Lastly, eggs a great choice for dogs because of their bioavailability, have also been recalled for being contaminated with the deadly Listeria virus. Sadly, that is just the tip of the ice burg in the human food market and that’s just only in the last few months. That doesn’t even include the thousands of dog food recalls. So whether we wanted to get raw meats from our local butcher or use a fancy raw dog food delivery service, there wasn’t a completely safe option.
Harmful drug resistant bacteria has even been found in raw dog foods throughout the country. Even in the most ideal circumstances, where nothing has gone wrong and the few safeguards in place have actually done their job, our chicken is still unhealthy and banned by the European Union. We actually wash our chicken down in chlorine and it is referred to as chlorinated chicken. Europe has banned its import for health reasons. It is not banned in the US because unfortunately the way our system is set up, big business can buy and sell the politicians that make the laws and their main concern is profits and not public health. Our food standards all the way around are subpar and are no where near as strict as our European counterparts and not just with chicken. The European Union has been banning our beef since 1989 because of the artificial beef growth hormones approved for use and administered in the United States. We as a country have one of the lowest food safety standards in the world.
FEEDING RECOMMENDATIONS AND DURATION:
The 2.5 oz size will last dogs under 50 pounds for at least 1.5 full months and dogs over 50 pounds for at least one and a 3 weeks; when administered daily. To use mix with wet food, dry food with a healthy oil (olive, salmon, flaxseed, coconut) or dry food with a small amount of warm water or both and stir (mix).
COMPREHENSIVE INGREDIENT LIST AND BENEFITS:
1) Dehydrated Bone Broth From Organic Grass Fed Non-GMO Beef: The first ingredient in our holistic formula is beef stock or dehydrated beef bone broth from grass fed non-gmo beef. Dogs need 22 amino acids. Twelve of these amino acids can be synthesized in their bodies. The other ten MUST be provided by their diet. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, but not all protein sources are created equally. For example, plant proteins do not supply the amino acid balances needed for dogs to thrive. As a result, a dog food simply being high in protein is not enough. Just because a dog food is high protein, does not mean it contains the essential amounts of amino acids. This is especially true considering most dog foods try to boost their protein content with potato or pea based proteins. On top of that, at the end of the extrusion process, the food is dried at temperatures as high as 392 degrees Fahrenheit. This high heat drying also lowers the already low concentrations of amino acids; specifically one of the ten essential amino acids lysine. Dogs cannot produce Lysine. It has to be provided by their diet. Yet the very way in which their food is prepared, destroys the amino acids they so desperately need for optimal health as carnivores. Even the protein itself is denatured and rendered non-functional, due to the high degree of thermal processing. Our dehydrated beef bone broth powder on the other hand, not only provides all ten of the essential amino acids their bodies cannot produce, in unadulterated non-processed form, but nine others as well. Our grass fed non-gmo beef stock also contains gelatin. As most dog foods contain less than 25% meat ingredients, gelatin is essential. Gelatin reduces their body’s need for protein meat sources, by as much as fifty percent. This will significantly bridge the meat content gap of most plant based dog foods. Due to labeling laws, if your dog food says salmon AND sweet potato or beef AND pea, then you know that your dog food contains less than 25% of that meat. If it contained more than 25%, they could simply call it salmon recipe or beef recipe. But they needed the sweet potato or the pea, combined with meat, to meet the 25% minimum compositional requirement for labeling. So it is best if you can afford it, to buy foods that do not contain AND in the title. If they do make sure both ingredients are meats, such as Beef AND Bison or Chicken AND Turkey. Bone broth also contains glycosaminoglycans. These are joint protecting compounds like glucosamine, chondroitin and hyaluronic acid and are ideal for old and young dogs alike. These compounds stimulate fibroblasts to lay down collagen in the joints, tendons, ligaments and even the arteries. Lastly, beef stock can help to protect the liver from toxic drugs like flea and tick medications, antibiotics, vaccines and de-wormers.
2) Organic Chia Seed Powder: The second ingredient in our holistic formula is chia seed powder. Chia is extremely healthy and has three times the amount of Omega 3 fatty acids as salmon!! Chia has a wide variety of health benefits, which is why it is our second ingredient. It promotes healthy cells, a healthy immune system, a healthy skin and coat, healthy joints, healthy brain function and eye health. It also contains excellent amounts of dietary fiber to help promote regularity. Chia also helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and contributes naturally to high levels of energy and supports normal insulin function. It has more calcium than whole milk, more iron than raw spinach and more magnesium than broccoli. It is the ultimate superfood and with no taste or scent, it is particularly well suited and tolerated by dogs. As most dog food is extremely high in Omega 6 and the AAFCO is only concerned about your dogs 6 month short term health, they do not require dog foods to include Omega 3. Many dog foods have an Omega 6 to 3 ratio as high as 20 to 1 and others as obscenely high as 50 to 1; especially those containing corn. Yet a healthy Omega 3 to 6 ratio is vital to the long term health of all dogs! An ideal ratio is in the ballpark of 4 to 1 and even as low as 2 to 1. Too much omega 6 can raise blood pressure and cause a heart attack and even a stroke. High omega 6 to 3 ratios have been linked to heart disease, arterial inflammation, arthritis and even dementia. Unfortunately, even dog foods that do contain Omega 3 still have deficient levels, as cooking the food or even canning it destroys the healthy essential fatty acids our animals need and renders them virtually useless. Even if by some miracle the EFA’s were to survive the extreme heat and pressure of extrusion and drying, the shelf life of the oils that provided the healthy EFA’s to begin with such as flaxseed and salmon oil, are only viable for a few months. In the end, there is really no way to tell how much healthy omega 3 remains in your dogs food by the time you purchase it, much less after it has been sitting in an open bag for several days. The only way you can ensure that your dog is getting enough Omega 3, is to supplement it in your dogs diet yourself. Hence chia seed powder is one of the most important ingredients, in our holistic formula.
3) Dehydrated Moringa Leaf: The third ingredient in our holistic formula is moringa leaf powder. Moringa is an extremely powerful nutritional food for dogs packed with vitamins and minerals, vital proteins, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents and Omega 3 oils. Moringa has 92 different nutrients and 46 different antioxidants! Moringa also has a very high absorption rate. Cancer in dogs is on the rise and is more prevalent than it has ever been. It is the leading cause of death in dogs over 10 years of age and a whopping 50% of all older dogs will develop cancer sometime in their lifetime. That figure is staggering! Most dog foods have more salt in their dog food recipe or formula, than they do fruits and vegetables. Any ingredient past salt on the ingredients list, is negligible at best. The lack of nutritious vegetables combined with all the chemicals and dyes found in most dog foods, makes you wonder why that profoundly high incidence of cancer among dogs, isn’t higher yet still. This is why Moringa is vital for optimal health and wellness and the third ingredient on our list. Moringa is loaded with nutrients and is more importantly extremely rich in antioxidants, namely Vitamin C, Beta-Carotene, Quercetin and Chlorogenic Acid.
4) Dehydrated Pumpkin: This fourth ingredient hardly needs any introduction. It is widely known that pumpkin is great for canine digestive health and for good reason. It is a great source of fiber which helps promote regularity. Pumpkin is particularly ideal for dog’s who eat the same food every day, for every meal. Without any variety, these dogs are very easily prone to digestive upset when anything new is introduced. Pumpkin can provide relief for minor digestive upset. In addition to the rich and cream flavor of pumpkin dogs love, rich amounts of Vitamin A and Zinc can improve their skin and coat. Its Vitamin C concentration can also boost immune health. In addition, holistic vets will often prescribe this natural remedy as a means to help control parasites. Pumpkin has high amounts of the amino acid cucurbitacin, which is toxic to many dog parasites.
5) Dehydrated Reishi Mushroom: The fifth ingredient in our holistic formula is reishi mushroom powder. Reishi is hailed as the power mushroom and often referred to as the mushroom of immortality and is an especially ideal ingredient for promoting optimal long term health and wellness. It promotes health and longevity in many ways. So whether your beloved pet is two or ten years old, they can live as healthy and happy a life as possible. Reishi supports heart health by improving the blood oxygen supply. It also helps to control allergies by preventing histamines that cause allergies and modulate the immune response. Last but not least for the senior dog, reishi slows aging by reducing aging symptoms including cognitive issues (mental status and acuity), arthritis and declining immunity. Reishi mushrooms are particularly good for pets experiencing chronic degenerative processes, weakened immune systems, liver disfunction, heart or kidney system decline and general weakness.
6) Dehydrated Organic Goji Berries: The sixth ingredient is Organic Goji Berries. They have high levels of calcium and iron, which all pup’s need plenty of. The calcium helps promote bone and teeth health. The iron helps generate healthy red blood cells; hemoglobin and myoglobin. These cells are crucial for transporting oxygen through the blood. Healthy levels of iron also prevent iron deficient anemia. Goji Berries also have zinc and selenium. The zinc helps aids in cell replication, healing wounds and building the immune system. Selenium plays a very significant role in optimal canine nutrition. This mineral has antioxidant properties which decelerate cell aging caused by oxidation. The fiber in Goji Berries helps to regulate their digestive system. Lastly, Goji is very high in antioxidants; including beta-sitosterol (anti-inflammatory agent) and beta-carotene (eyesight). Since the majority of diseases can be attributed to inflammation in some form or other, anti-inflammatory antioxidants can potentially play a very significant role in long term health and wellness.
7) Turmeric Curcumin: The seventh ingredient is Turmeric Curcumin. Turmeric is the newest craze in dog supplements, due to its wide array of health benefits. There are many new dog treats out there, boasting adding Turmeric. Unfortunately Turmeric Curcumin can be very hard for a dogs body to absorb. Simply serving it in treat form will likely have no benefits at all and pass through their body completely unabsorbed. There are two keys to boosting Turmeric absorption in dogs. The first is to add an oil to their food such as flaxseed oil, salmon oil, olive oil or coconut oil. The second is heat, adding a small amount of warm water to their food will also increase the rate of absorption. Some advocate the use of black pepper to increase absorption, as it does in humans. However, the possible side effects of black pepper far outweigh any absorption benefits it may have. Black Pepper in dogs can cause gastrointestinal inflammation, skin and eye irritation and respiratory problems or hypoxia. In severe cases airway obstruction and death can occur. Therefore, we do not include it in our recipe as the possible risks, far outweigh the possible benefits. Turmeric Curcumin is the ultimate natural anti-everything. It has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It is extremely beneficial for older dogs, as it can help with joint pain. Curcumin arguably relieves arthritis pain and stiffness better than ibuprofen. It has been administered as an anti-diarrhea medication and has great intestinal and bowel health benefits. It has been shown to improve cardiovascular health with the antioxidant polyphenol. It can help relieve histamine inflammation and allergies, by releasing white blood cells into body tissues. Lastly, it can suppress the metastasis of a variety of tumors. It is not curative, but preventative and has the ability to help stop cancerous cells in their tracks.
8) Coconut Oil Powder: The eighth ingredient is coconut oil powder. This addition was not only inspired and chosen for its many health benefits, but problems we have had with other coconut oil products in non-powder form. Previous coconut oil we have purchased for our dogs became moldy and was rancid. While it is suppose to be shelf stable, there are a lot of varying qualities out there and that is why we love this powdered form. All of the health benefits, with no chance of mold or rancid liquid. It is the perfect meal enhancing ingredient and is non-messy and easy to pour, in this easy to use powder form. Coconut oil has many benefits for dogs. It makes their coats glossy and sleek. It eliminates dog odor. It benefits metabolic function, weight loss, arthritis and bone health. The lauric acid in coconut oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties and therefore helps to fight off viruses. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil aid in digestion and can even help digestive disorders, as well as improve brain energy and mental function in older dogs.
9) Taurine: The ninth ingredient, in our limited ingredient holistic formula is taurine. Taurine is normally found in the raw diet in beef liver. Small dogs will receive 250 mg of taurine per serving and large dogs 500mg per serving. Taurine is healthy for the heart and can help prevent DCM. Taurine helps some of the most crucial systems function properly. It is absolutely critical to cardiac function, eye health and immune system function. Lack of taurine can cause serious eye and heart problems. Taurine deficiencies in dog food, began with the invention of the extruder which required more starch and less meat and organs; organs which contained vital amounts of taurine. This last ingredient is particularly heart wrenching, as it is the one ingredient which would have saved our beloved Holly and for which her kibble provided her no relief. Taurine or amino sulfonic acid is vital to both heart and eye health. Older dogs and especially larger older dogs, are particularly susceptible to taurine deficiencies.
10) Pre and Probiotics: The tenth ingredient is pre and probiotics. This blend of specialized pre and probiotics helps to support digestion for optimal health. The prebiotic in our formula is inulin or dried chicory root. Prebiotics nourish the beneficial bacteria of probiotics. By supporting the good bacteria, prebiotics help to prevent disease, improve digestion and nutrient absorption (especially minerals), and enhance the immune system. The probiotic formula contains four species of live, naturally occurring lactic acid bacteria, including Enterococcus faecium and three species of Lactobacillus bacteria; acidophilus, casei and plantarum as well as streptococcus thermophilus and bifidobacterium bifidum. Enterococcus faecium helps to improve nutrient absorption. Lactobacillus acidophilus also promotes nutrient absorption, helps maintain proper levels of normal flora or good bacteria and helps control the population of bad bacteria. Lactobacillus casei provides enzymes that are necessary for healthy digestion and Lactobacillus plantarum improves the biological assimilation of essential nutrients; including vitamins and minerals. Between these five strains there is FIVE BILLION CFU’S in a raw unprocessed form for maximum potency. It is clinical strength and veterinarian recommended to support a healthy digestive tract.
11) Glucosamine: Our eleventh ingredient is glucosamine. Glucosamine would normally be found in the raw diet, in the form of turkey giblets. Our formula is guaranteed to have at least 10,900 mg/kg. Glucosamine has many benefits, particularly for the aging dog as it helps to strengthen the body’s cartilage. This strengthening of the cartilage reduces inflammation and slows the deterioration process. It is a natural substance that reduces pain and swelling in affected joints. Dogs naturally produce their own glucosamine, but as their body ages they often lose their ability to produce it. As a result, their joints can stiffen up and lose their protective cartilage. Cartilage is important as it not only absorbs shock, but is naturally flexible. There is little else more important where mobility is concerned.
12) Colostrum: Colostrum is twelfth ingredient. It is the most effective, natural way to treat food, skin and seasonal allergies. Colostrum contains a hormone called Proline-Rich-Polypeptide (PRP). This hormone can either stimulate an under-active immune system or, in the case of allergies, down-regulate an overactive immune system. This down-regulation is important in autoimmune diseases, including arthritis and allergies. The overly active immune system will fail to recognize its own cells from foreign molecules and start attacking its own tissues (autoimmunity) or show an exaggerated response to a normally harmless molecule. Research has shown that PRP’s have the ability to reduce allergic symptoms by inhibiting lymphocyte (white blood cell) and T-cell overproduction. These are the cells that overreact in an allergic reaction. It’s also thought that PRP can help create special cells (helper T-cells and suppressor T-cells) that can suppress and switch off the immune responses that trigger allergies. Other research has shown that PRP is highly anti-inflammatory, which helps not just with allergies, but other inflammatory conditions such as arthritis. Colostrum can also be effective in helping with one of the primary causes of allergy symptoms, leaky gut. Our premium Colostrum is sourced year-round, from USDA Grade A dairy cows raised in the United States. It is low-heat processed in state-of-the-art facility, allowing us to provide you with the highest quality Colostrum at an exceptional value! Our colostrum is highly concentrated with 20% IgG (Immunoglobulins G1 & G2), 15% PRPs (Proline-Rich Polypeptides) and is laboratory confirmed free of antibiotics, gluten free, non-gmo and free of soy. Our concentrated, first-milking Colostrum is produced using a proprietary process and is standardized to provide naturally-occurring IgG and PRPs (Proline-Rich Polypeptides).
13) CoQ10: CoQ10 is the last ingredient and is extremely important to the function of organs with a high demand for oxygen, mainly the heart and brain. CoQ10 is normally found in beef heart in the raw diet. Small dogs will receive 30 mg per serving and large dogs will receive 60 mg per serving. CoQ10 has been shown to greatly reduce the incidence of heart disease and improve heart function. It also may help promote healthier gums and protect against periodontal disease. Since 80% of all dogs exhibit some stage of periodontal disease by age 2, this is an extremely beneficial component, but still cannot completely replace tooth brushing. CoQ10 can also help improve renal and immune function.
Holly’s Mission: We have put the best ingredients on the planet into our alternaRAW so that your canine has the safest and healthiest life possible and all on a wallet friendly budget. We want your beloved pet to have the most optimal nutrition possible. Our focus is on the maximum and not the bare minimum. To thrive and not to just simply survive.